Bishop Eddie Long is the lead pastor of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia, Ga., one of the largest churches in the Atlanta area. He is liked by some, while rejected by others, mostly due to accusations from four young men who used to attend New Birth when they were teens. As the story goes, Bishop Long allegedly plied these teens with lavish gifts and trips into having a sexual relationship with him, all while presenting himself as a father figure in their lives. The joint lawsuit filed by these men was eventually settled with an undisclosed sum of money being paid out by Bishop Long. The men were required by clauses in their payout agreement to keep quiet about the contract and the accusations, but a couple of them continue to speak out, insisting their claims of sexual abuse are true. Bishop Long has denied the charges continuously, endured his wife, Vanessa Long, filing, un-filing, refiling and finally changing her mind about divorcing the New Birth pastor.
None of that, however, has anything to do with the images below, presented in this post titled “5 Strange Images of Bishop Eddie Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church”.
5 Strange Images of Bishop Eddie Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church
1. I’m not sure what’s going on with this photo, but I think (don’t quote me) this is Bishop Long’s children behind him in this ultra-cool photo…in which the bishop is wearing something a little reminiscent of the 80s. (Peep the New Birth bling)
2. This image, taken from a strange video of Bishop Long being “crowned king” as some put it, has the New Birth minister holding, um, a very very very old Torah scroll (right). If you haven’t seen the video, you should. It’s strange.
3. Can you guess why this image is included? It could be for a variety of reasons…but I think you can guess why.
4. I don’t know who put this image together… but I think it’s of Bishop Long being remorseful about something, as he’s crying and inhaling deeply it would seem from a handkerchief … Remorseful.
5. This final image is of a billboard I’m assuming that was put up around the Atlanta area, advertising, of course, Eddie Long…I mean New Birth Missionary Baptist Church. I’m guessing whoever designed this was severely chastised for forgetting to put “Jesus” instead of “HIM” in the text.
Thoughts or suggestions for other lists?
- Wife of Bishop Eddie Long discusses divorce ‘storm’ with New Birth congregation: ‘I got off the ship’ (thegrio.com)
- Real Talk: Eddie Long’s Wife Speaks… But Do You Get It? (essence.com)
- Vanessa Long Breaks Her Long Silence About Not Divorcing Bishop Eddie Long (thisblksistaspage.wordpress.com)